About Bethany Home
The Bethany Home Association is a not-for-profit continuous care retirement community providing more than 100 years of Christ-centered services and care for the aging and handicapped. Located in Lindsborg, Kan., the home is a social ministry of the Central States Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The campus includes a 100-bed nursing home facility, 20 assisted living units and 47 independent living cottages. The health care center currently holds a four-star rating by the federal Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services and is endorsed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Bethany Home Association has a mission of creating a Christian environment and delivering Christ-centered care to all residents and guests.
Bethany Home has a long and storied history with several changes but one common denominator, its dedication to serving the people of Lindsborg and the Smoky Valley.
The first Bethany Home building was constructed in the early 1900s following a substantial donation from a local resident. The donor wanted the money used to construct an orphanage but seeing the need for care for the aging greater than the need for a home for children, the donor approved his donation be used for the construction of the community’s first nursing home. In 1907, construction began on the home, which stood on the same quarter section of land where the home stands today. In 1911, the home welcomed its first 11 residents.
The need for more rooms was realized almost immediately. So, in 1928, the old Bethany Church parsonage was purchased and relocated just north of the original Bethany Home. The new structure, which housed an additional 10 residents, was updated and connected to the original nursing home with an enclosed passageway.
In 1947 calls for an “invalid home” could no longer be ignored and construction began on Pioneer Memorial. A two-story building constructed to house those that could not care for themselves. The building still stands although the second floor is no longer used for resident care.
Fifty years after the original Bethany Home opened, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for what is now known at Golden Annex. The Pleasant View addition, located north of Elin, was dedicated in 1966 and was originally used as an infirmary.
For decades, the two structures met the needs of the elderly population but aging buildings and new building codes and regulations forced the need for a new facility. Elin Manor, located on the west side of the block, was completed in 1973 and residents were moved from the old parsonage to the new, more practical space.
Construction on the chapel began I 1975 followed by the demolition of the original Bethany Home structure in 1976. With the completion of Hoglund Manor, the home reached its current capacity. In 1980, an expanded kitchen and dining room was completed to better accommodate the growing Bethany Home population. And in 1985, the activities center opened on the north end of the Bethany Home building.
Through the years, the home has grown and expanded to incorporate independent living and assisted living care. The independent living Cottages were built in three phases, all in the late 1970s. In 2014, the Värdshus Assisted Living Home was opened.